Why would you need a family lawyer?
There are a variety of problems that arise within a marriage, civil union, or domestic partnership that can be handled by a family law attorney. There is no law in the United States that says that people appearing in a court case need to be represented by a lawyer. People involved in a court case are legally allowed to represent themselves if they so wish. Representing oneself in a family law case can be difficult though. There are so many aspects of family law that a family law case could possibly encounter. The help of a family law attorney might be the best bet when appearing in court for a family law case.
The aspects of family law that could be challenging are:
- Spousal support
- Child support
- Visitation rights
- Property settlements
- Alimony payments
- Parental responsibility orders
- Spousal abuse
If you have may need legal assistance regarding a Family related matter, consult with a Family Lawyer in your area for a free case review to explore your legal options.
Why Hire a Family Lawyer
It is always a safe bet to consult and hire a family law attorney when dealing with one or more of the above mentioned problems that can arise within a marriage, within a civil union, or within a domestic partnership. Family law is a wide topic of law that covers everything mentioned above and then some. A family law attorney will be able to answer any questions that might arise with a family law problem while also making the court process much easier on the plaintiff or the defendant involved in a family law lawsuit.
If a couple has decided, after a period of separation that they wish to end their marriage and obtain a divorce, should consult a family law attorney. The laws and rules regarding filing for a divorce can change each year and a family law attorney will be able to define all of those laws and explain all of the changes to a couple that is getting divorced. A divorce lawyer will also be able to work hand in hand with the other spouse’s lawyer during the divorce process.
A married couple does not always have problems that lead to divorce. Other problems that can arise are domestic violence such as spousal abuse or child abuse. Spousal abuse or child abuse can be the result of emotional abuse or physical abuse. A family law attorney will be able to help settle the differences between two spouses involved in these types of cases that could possibly lead to a divorce. If a divorce does occur, the spouse that was abused will more than likely seek spousal support, restitution, compensation for damages or medical bills and child support if they are awarded child custody.
What Should I Expect When Working with a Family Lawyer?
Because the family law practice area is so broad, it’s hard to say exactly what you can expect from a family law proceeding. But in the end, you should have a better defined relationship with your family. In any case, your lawyer should supply you with advice on whether you should take your case to court and how strong your case is. Your lawyer should take you through every step of the process of filing papers or a lawsuit. For document creation or review, you can expect that your family lawyer will create a legally binding agreement that has clear terms you can understand. If you have to go through negotiations or go to court, there is no guarantee that the outcomes will be ideal for you, but having a family lawyer on your side will give you the best information and chance of winning your case.
Here are a few reasons why choosing a qualified family law attorney is the right decision:
- Objective advice – Even if you’re the party who is initiating the divorce action, chances are that you are experiencing some very deep emotional turmoil concerning the matter. When emotions are running high, it’s easy to make rash decisions that, in hindsight, will prove to be ill-considered. Having a family law attorney in your corner means that you have a professional who can offer objective, fact- and experience-based advice regarding your divorce. A family law attorney can help you avoid going for a quick resolution that leaves you at a long-term financial or parenting disadvantage.
- Access to top-notch consultants – In contentious divorce proceedings, the testimony and advice of professionals such as bankers, investment consultants, appraisers, physicians, and mental health experts may be necessary. Experienced family law attorneys have contacts with many of these experienced professionals and can recruit knowledgeable experts who can lend authority to your case with their knowledge.
- Courtroom experience – There is no substitute for experience when it comes to litigation. Family law attorneys have spent a significant portion of their careers in the courtroom arguing divorce cases. This experience gives them unparalleled insight into what tactics opposing attorneys will pursue and how judges will react to various arguments and evidence. While most divorce cases settle, the most contentious ones end up in a courtroom and, in that circumstance, you want a seasoned professional on your side.
- Familiarity with opposing counsel – Most family law attorneys in your area will interact in court and develop working relationships. Experienced family law attorneys can draw upon those contacts to work effectively with your spouse’s attorney to help negotiate a settlement that is fair and equitable.
- Alternatives to litigation – Family law attorneys can advise their clients on whether alternatives such as divorce mediation may be appropriate for their circumstances. Mediation can save divorcing spouses with good communication the time, expense, and stress of a divorce proceeding. In mediation, a facilitator helps guide divorcing spouses to an amicable agreement. While this option isn’t for everyone, many couples have used it to successfully end marriages without the acrimony involved in divorce.
What a Family Lawyer Can Do
A family law attorney will be able to properly fill out all of the required paperwork and forms needed when going to court for family law problems, the lawyer will accompany their clients to court to represent them, and a family law attorney will also make sure that their clients receive the proper amount of compensation for their pain and suffering. No matter what type of case, it is difficult to represent oneself in a court of law but it is especially difficult to represent oneself in a case that involves family law and another spouse or another member of the family.
Anyone that needs to hire a family law attorney should consult with a couple of different attorneys first before deciding to choose a specific one. The consultation meeting should include the asking of questions about the lawyer’s experience and background, their success rate in family law cases, their education background and whether or not the attorney has represented clients in this specific area of family law in the past.